3M™Circuit Plating Tape 851 is a green polyester film tape with a unique conformable adhesive for printed circuit board masking during electroplating.
- Polyester backing reduces the stretch and recovery of tape associated with the uneven stop-off lines.
- The thick adhesive coating reduces undercutting because adhesive blocks out solutions between fingers.
- The specially designed adhesive generally performs better when no ovens are used to heat tape and boards.
- The low-stretch polyester film can be applied by machine or by hand.
- The tape must be firmly pressed down by equipment with rubber-covered rollers or a rubber-covered platen press.
- Hand rolling usually does not provide enough pressure. A vivid outline of the circuit leads usually indicates adequate pressure was used.
- Solvent* clean-up of the board is recommended to facilitate subsequent soldering.