It is really difficult for many people to find a suitable tape that can do the task of adhesion to provide safety and conduction.
If you are also facing issues like this then read further to find how you can find the right conductive tape for your application too!
Thermal conductive tapes are materials that are used to provide thermal solutions along with their conductivity for electronic devices. These are also used in electric devices for their adhesion properties on either one or both sides.
What Is the Motive Behind Using 3M Thermal Conductive Tapes?
The conductive tapes can be used in electronic devices or applications that require an additional thermal solution. The right amount of thermal management is necessary to keep the device running and in good condition.
For example, the 3M thermally conductive adhesive transfer tape 8810 creates a path to dissipate the heat away from the heat-generating components to a heat sink or some other area with components that are not heat sensitive.
Advantages of Using Thermally Conductive Interface Tapes
- Similarly, the interface tapes also create a better surface contact between two layers.
- It also reduces the thermal resistance from the interface joints and provides further cooling to the device.
- The thermally conductive adhesive transfer tape 8810, e.g., has a very good tack property that delivers high strength bind between two components.
- The high-strength tack also eliminates the need for mechanical fasteners like screws and bolts.
- This proves further useful by keeping the device lightweight.
The 3M thermally conductive adhesive transfer tape 8810 has polymer with thermal fillers like ceramic, aluminum silicate, or metal. The thermally conductive tapes are pressure sensitive. It means it does not require any additional equipment for its application.
This enhances its ability to be easy to use. The fillers are the material that helps the tapes to dissipate the heat from the surface to some other parts from where the heat can be removed altogether.
The 3M conductive adhesive tapes have the most desired elements which are thermal, mechanical and dielectric properties. These are the 3 basic things that are required in any good thermally conductive tape.
- The 3M adhesive transfer tape comes with an adhesive coating on one or both sides of the liner material.
- It is a very common feature of any transfer tape that works both ways or has double-sided adhesion.
- The 3M thermally conductive adhesive transfer tape 8810 is used by the designers when a strong bond is needed due to its high strength bonding.
- It is good to be used in difficult working conditions such as rain, moisture, and high working temperature.
- It eliminates the need for mechanical fasteners like screws and bolts. This additionally helps to keep the product lightweight and compact.
- It has the feature of being thermally conductive which makes them desired to be used in combination with cooling components like fans and heat sinks of integrated circuits.
- The 3M thermally conductive adhesive transfer tape 8810 has silicone-based material which is soft and bendy.
- It comes in handy in situations when extra cushion support is needed. It makes the device vibration and shock-resistant.
- This has an acrylic adhesive that is thermally conductive ceramic filters.
- These are pressure sensitive which is a fast and easy way of application.
- It is a perfect alternative to the traditional methods of bonding.
- It removes the need for bonding with screws and rivets.
- This has a bendable and flexible material that allows higher contact with the surface.
- This higher contact makes sure that the application is perfect.
- This also enables the application on uneven surfaces.
- It comes with 2 great features: being a good thermal conductor and having insulation properties as well.
- One of its several benefits is that it offers higher flexibility than other thermally conductive interface tapes.
- It is also very much in demand due to the low cost, but twice as conductive, as leading competitive products.
- It has higher adhesion than other tapes with similar thicknesses; this enhances the design and assembly flexibility.
- The dielectric performance upgrades the overall functioning of the device and elongates the life cycle of the product.
- It is compatible with such devices and needs low thermal impedance.
- It can also be used as filler for smaller as well bigger spaces which provide extra protection from vibration and external shock.
Key Points to Choose Thermally Conductive Interface Tapes
Some basic questions need answering before the selection of the right tape. Always start with the level of heat that the device will generate? Then comes the question of EMI issues and challenges. Do not forget to question combining two or more TIM solutions.
Choosing the right product looks for the thermal conductivity and resistance, viscosity, and ease of application.
You should first look at the requirements of your application before looking for the options. There are some basic properties of every conductive tape and then the secondary properties are the ones that determine if a certain type of conductive tape is suitable for some application or not.
These traits can be high-grade adhesion to provide mechanical strength. The reliability feature provides better and long-term performance without any reworking. Also, the 3M tapes are adverse to extreme conditions and can be used in rugged applications as well without worrying about safety concerns.
Another secondary trait can be the ability to work with different substrates that are uneven or unfinished. These are extremely lightweight tapes and make devices additionally aesthetic like wearable, it keeps the device slim and compact without compromising the quality.
Also look at the ratings for flammability, ambient working conditions, and amount of heat that is conducted at any given time.
Smart thin and skin-like silicone-based materials are proving to be tremendously interesting as these can easily be used in certain types of applications like soft robotics, wearable devices, and other bendy and stretchable materials.
The mechanical properties of the material are some more features to pay attention to while looking for something that will give a long-term performance.
Applications for Thermal Conductive Interface Tapes
The 3M conductive tapes are used in several applications that involve lighting and other components. The tapes are used to attach the LEDs to the heat sinks to remove the excessive heat from the lights.
It is also very useful in consumer electronics as it helps them in keeping lightweight, compact and safe to use.
The batteries have several components in them that require combining and the heat in the battery also creates the additional challenge of fire and safety.
Integrated Circuit (IC) Packaging
The IC industry requires thermally conductive tapes that are useful in keeping the ICs together and providing thermal solutions along with it.
Used as Cooling Device
The thermal tapes are used as additional cooling factors in high-end applications that require more heat dissipation and thermal solution. It can be combined with external components like fans, heat spreaders, and heat pipes.
The interface tape 8810 is thermally conductive and helps in moving the heat from one area to another. It can be customized and used in applications that demand dies cutting. It clings perfectly and works fine on uneven surfaces too.
You can buy it in large rolls in various thickness sizes, with high mechanical strength and shock resistance performance. The high tack provides the removal of mechanical fasteners and the peel-stick feature is excellent in handling with ease.